Saturday, August 08, 2009

Trex Composite Decking

Trex Composite Decking


I recently visited a home to have a look at yet another moldy trex composite deck. This one was built by a local Toronto builder that installs Trex decking in most of his projects. The client was furious--and after months of chasing (his builder), and Trex, he was having a meeting with the both of them. Here are some photos of the decking project and a close up of a moldy board.



Here is a close up of what trex looks like when it is magnified. As you can see there is semi protruding wood fibers that will rot over time. This deck was cleaned about 1 week before my visit with a specialty bleaching cleaner designed specifically to remove mold from wood fiber composite decking.
After inspecting and photographing this Trex deck for mold, the neighbour from across the street asked me to come by for a look at her trex deck… see photos below.


Now, this is just my opinion, but I think anyone in this day and age knowing what I know about the product--I would be insane to install any composite decking that contains pulp lumber or to advise any of our people to use composite decking that contains pulp lumber.

There is currently a Trex class action law suit to do with warranty issues, click for info.

Here are links to more composite decking information on our main site

This is a link to see all the information within this blog regarding composite decking.

3 comments:

Brandon said...

What are you thoughts and experiences with Evergrain? I hear that the released a new formula this spring, but I just finished my Redwood Evergrain deck.

Should I be worried? I'm blogging about my experience with building it, but the blog is still a work in progress. Any advice you can give on maintaining my deck would be appreciated.

Http://evergraindeck.blogspot.com

Decking Enthusiast said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.