Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Erroneous Advertising by Eon - CPI Plastics Group Limited

Erroneous Advertising by Eon - CPI Plastics Group Limited




I've ripped into the shows on TV about giving people unrealistic numbers regarding costs of renovations, and here in my back yard my time is being wasted by people with unrealistic expectations of price due to poor marketing.



"Based on an average 288 sq. ft. deck, including labor, decking and material costs. Does not include maintenance costs of wood decking of $1/sf' per year, eon is an incredible value over time. "
They were stating quite clearly:
  1. You can purchase an installed 288 sf pressure treated deck for a little over $3,000 completely installed with materials included that will last 10 years. (our estimated cost of materials only is $3456)
  2. You can purchase an installed 288 sf Cedar (type of cedar and grade not specified), deck for a little over $3,400 completely installed with materials included that will last 18 years. (our estimated cost of materials only is $4320)
  3. You can purchase an installed 288 sf pressure treated deck for a little over $4,000 completely installed with materials included that will last Forever.
Well, I called them this morning I told them I would like to buy the cedar or the Eon deck that they had alluded to in their ad.
Eventually she passed me on to Cliff Hatch , (the Marketing Director)
This incident had a good resolution.
Cliff from Eon wrote me back within the hour letting me know that they have directed all their reps to pull in all the offensive marketing materials from every store in North America. He also sent the replacement marketing ( 2007), and let me know that the previous brochure was designed in 2002He apoligized and as it turned out it was a simple misreading of statistics provided by an American company.
Thanks Cliff!
L

No comments: