Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Vinyl Fencing Failures

PVC Fencing (Poly Vinyl Chloride)

PVC Fencing has been around a few years now. This is a two part entry. I’ve invited one of my associates to comment on vinyl fencing because he knows more about it than I do.

I drive by this nearly every day.












It doesn’t work well for eavestrough, not particularly well as decking. PVC reacts with UV to cause fissure cracks in the material. It actually becomes nearly translucent, then… all of a sudden catastrophic failure. (see illustration).

PVC is a hard plastic, quite strong when new and flexible, but over time it becomes brittle.

Grass will stain it, it will scratch from weed trimmers, mud will splash up and discolor, pollution will make it dirty and dingy. There are chemical cleaners available that you spray on and wash off with a power washer-but you may have to do that yearly.

If the structure is not sufficient, it will sag.


To be fair, this was one of the original products available about 10 years ago, (the approximate age). I believe this was installed by Nordegraff Enterprises in Springwater Township more than 7 years ago..

The companies selling vinyl fence material will all tell you that the new stuff is waaay better than it used to be.

Study the warranty. The last thing I want is my associates having to face people in 10 or 15 years when these products fail. We offer a 5 year warranty on Workmanship—not the materials that go into it.
If you are going to sell it don’t misrepresent the product ok guys. I’d say low maintainence for a while… but I wouldn’t expect it to last more than 20 years unless it has reinforced concrete inside.

No comments: