Sunday, January 07, 2007

Behavior on Site

I am only going to be able to touch the tip of the iceberg on this subject! There has been an expression among us carpenters for years. " What looks good is good" That phrase applies to more than just the out come of the project at hand.

It also applies too the way the project management performs and keeps everything moving along in a professional manor.

One of my pet peeves is to keep the job site clean and orderly through out the entire project even if we have to hire a laborer just for clean up. To me keeping the job site clean and orderly shows the customer that you take pride in what you do and that reflection carries on to the workmanship of the project itself.

I make sure every employee is busy doing something at all times. Just standing around lollygagging and smoking cigarettes does not cut it. My son Dan has been working for me since he was a freshmen in High school ask him how I feel on the subject? I won't keep my employees from smoking, but don't let it hinder your ability to keep the job progressing.

Another thing I will not tolerate is any swearing on the job. In the summer month people have their windows open and in the early morning the sound really travels if you get my drift?

Sorry if any one thinks I'm a mean boss but I was taught the correct way to act on a construction job site. Any other behavior is not going to help your company thrive.

Mak

1 comment:

Paul Corsetti (416)455-5515 said...

I agree entirely! Rough looking workers on site can speak volumes for a reputation you don't want. Swearing and smoking while around the customer can display a lack of consideration and respect for that customer.
Clean shaven,clean language, clean shirts,no ripped clothing and no plumber's butt!...throw in some safety equipment and proper work boots and that makes for a professional looking crew.
I've worked for a company that stated...if you need to smoke, go sit in the truck, never smoke while working! It is not professional!

Also, if a business owner can afford it...supply your guys with some T-shirts that are the same colour and encourage them to buy shirts with the same colour... That way your crew looks more like a team! Logo's on T-shirts looks even more professional....