Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Composite Decking -More

I received a note from a fellow that works at a large composite decking company. He gave some very candid information about the shortcomings of composite decking, such as deterioration of surface and puckering near the fasteners. He explained why it is such a struggle to create a good product with the technology that is presently available-- at least it makes sense to me.

His contention is that it is best to try because "trying" leads to eventual success. Experimentation and going through the motions leads to development and learning.

I agree entirely. That's how Honda and Toyota did it. If you remember their earliest cars--Would you ever imagine Toyota would be competing in Nascar next year?

With people like this trying--those who will compete with themselves for success-- I think they will create a superior product to wood decks some day. I would be happy to entertain ideas as to how I could work with the companies developing new composite decking products. I can see numerous ways they could improve.

"Rumor has it that there is a new composite decking product that should be
in distribution within 3 years that weighs half and is 3 x stronger than the
best composite decking is today."

Here's a laugh. I did an article on composite decking a couple of years ago.
Of 561,000 results it ranks #4 for Composite Decking (click for the search in Google)
I guess I should get that article re-written to include some recent developments.
A Prosperous New Year To All of You-- Happy 007
L






1 comment:

Composite Decking said...

The best composite deck boards that resist mold and mildew are boards that have over 500,000 modulus of elasticity. (PSI)
In other words the denser the board, the harder it is for the mold and mildue fungi to attach and penetrate the board. You can find the specifications of composite decking boards on all reputable manufacturers websites.